Tuesday, January 3, 2012

All People who go to church need to die - My Tenth Blog

These are the blogs of my last month in youth ministry and some lessons and things God has taught me:

ALL PEOPLE WHO GO TO CHURCH NEED TO DIE

Have you ever been to a funeral home where multiple visitations were taking place? I’m sure we all have. Have you ever noticed how the multiple dead people there behave? Have you ever noticed anything about them in particular and how they interact with each other per say?

I have never seen two dead people argue! Not once. I have never seen dead people fighting because they aren’t getting their way. I have never seen a committee of dead people trying to run the show. I have never seen a dead person complain because the music is too upbeat. I have never seen a dead person argue that “we don’t do it that way here.” I have never seen a dead person addicted to tradition. I have never seen a dead person pout. I have never seen a dead person gossip behind the back of others. I have never seen a dead person stir up trouble. I have never seen a dead person say one thing to my face and another thing behind my back.

So where am I going with this? Luke 9:23-24 says “Then Jesus said to the crowd, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.’”

There are numerous verses that teach the Christian to deny himself, decrease, sacrifice, die to self, etc… And that is the problem in so many churches today. Individuals have never died. We have the Burger King mentality and want it our way. We have the mind of “self” and not the mind of Christ. Dead people do not have the same characteristics that live people do. That sounds like the dumbest thing I’ve ever said, but it is true! If a church full of members who have truly died to themselves and are purely seeking the will of God…well could you just imagine what that would look like and what they could do in fulfilling the Great Commission!! How unbelievable would that be? I submit to you that a dead church is full of live people, but a live church is full of dead ones.

I wrote this in a newsletter article a while back and I’ll repeat it here. A Christian who constantly seeks their way is a detriment to the body of church. One who seeks God’s way is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment